However, the Drudge headline and picture tell a different story:
A check shows what CTSFO on those shields means:
Scotland Yard has created an SAS-style unit of armed officers to counter the threat of a terrorist gun attack in Britain.
The 130 counter-terrorism specialist firearms officers (CTSFOs) who make up the elite unit have been equipped with new weapons and retrained in new tactics, such as fast-roping from helicopters and storming burning buildings to rescue hostages.
The unit has trained alongside the army’s special forces to respond to assaults such as the 2008 attacks in Mumbai and the 2013 Westgate shopping mall attack in Nairobi, which developed into a siege.Sun has a report.
Their bullet-point summary:
What we know so far about the Russell Square stabbings:
- A 19-year-old man attacked six people with a knife in central London's Russell Square at around 10.30pm last night
- A woman in her 60s was killed and another five injured. Two remain in hospital.
- The attacker has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is being held at a South London police station.
- Police confirmed they were not ruling out the incident being terror-related and said they believed mental health was a key factor.
- Witnesses described the man as having dark skin and appearing to be of African descent.
In short, regardless of calm- the- public announcements, there is significant concern about a heightened risk of terrorist attacks in London. END