Friday, September 18, 2020

Part 5: Systematising the Philemon model for responses to social evils (here, slavery)

 One of the central claims of Critical Race Theory (a marxist-derived attack on our civilisation intended to lead to cultural revolution) is that Western Culture including modern Constitutional Democracy embeds white supremacy and so is utterly illegitimate. Similarly, in attacking a celebration of the 400th anniversary of the epochal King James Translation, the US-based American Atheists pressure group tried to implicate the Christian Faith and its Scriptures. This led me to respond with an infographic:


Already, we see that gospel ethics, discipleship, counter-culture, 4R's reformation and apologetics issues are bound up in this matter. Where, manifestly, the Eph 4:9 - 24 framework implies that answers to great evils are going to be involved in the real-world application of the gospel agenda. Already, the infographic gives the kernel of an answer, there is no basis for assumed racial superiority/inferiority, and the gospel with its integral ethics comes to everyone equally. However, it does not motivate suicidal uprising, instead the gospel leads to reformation of evils. Indeed, we see how Paul directly counsels slaves not to let enslavement so eat up their lives; even as he counsels that if one can get out do so. (In the Roman Empire, apparently many slaves did get out of their misfortune.) 

  He also says we  were bought with the blood of Christ so we should not allow ourselves to be enslaved. Thus, gospel ethics and theology are clearly opposed to slavery. However they do not counsel suicidal rebellion, instead pointing to reformation.

So, we may turn to Philemon, Manumission letter for Onesimus an escaped slave of Philemon (who seems to have taken a significant sum of money in his escape attempt) who had found his way to Paul in Rome. This created the deadly challenge the infographic notes, as Paul was already suspect/accused on a capital charge and harbouring escaped slaves while being literally chained to guards was not advisable. It was in fact also a capital charge issue.

Let us note how Paul threaded his way through the eye of this needle, recognising how this ties into core themes of the faith once for all delivered to the saints:

Philemon 1

 1 Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother [--> a pivotal theme],


To Philemon our beloved fellow worker 2 and Apphia our sister 

[--> included in brotherhood, with implications for female slaves and the peculiar horrors of enslaving women who are then made into open season targets as they effectively have no power to refuse sexual advances] 

 and Archippus our fellow soldier, and the church in your house:  3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

 4 I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers, 5 because I hear of your love and of the faith that you have toward the Lord Jesus and for all the saints, 6 and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ.1

 [--> Notice, allusion to the fullness of Christ agenda and to growing up in ethical knowledge as well as theological, pivoting on the redemptive gospel message]

  7 For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.

 8 Accordingly, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do what is required, [--> he commands, speaking in Christ's voice but appeals for motivation through truth in love] 9 yet for love's sake I prefer to appeal to you—I, Paul, an old man and now a prisoner also for Christ Jesus— 10 I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus,2  whose father I became in my imprisonment [--> within brotherhood is parental relationship].

 11 (Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful to you and to me. [--> a word play on his name and a hint of the circumstances of escape]) 12 I am sending him back to you, sending my very heart. [--> love] 13 I would have been glad to keep him with me, in order that he might serve me on your behalf during my imprisonment for the gospel, 14 but I preferred to do nothing without your consent [--> heart softening through the gospel] in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own accord.

[--> freedom acting through love and enlightenment, even in the face of evil and necessary correction by removal; in a circumstance where the apostle has social power to influence action. Reformation, not imposition]

 15 For this perhaps is why he was parted from you for a while, that you might have him back forever, 16 no longer as a bondservant3  but more than a bondservant, as a beloved brother [--> a brother: am I not a man and a brother? . . . a woman and a sister?] —especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. 

 17 So if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would receive me. [--> he is in my place, hence also in him Christ comes, asking, not for a cup of water but for freedom]

18 If he has wronged you at all, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. 19 I, Paul, write this with my own hand: I will repay it—to say nothing of your owing me even your own self. 

[--> formally undertakes debts due, so recognises that loss has potentially damaging impact to be ameliorated; doubtless the premise of providing a generous release endowment also obtains]

20 Yes, brother, I want some benefit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ. 


 21 Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. 

22 At the same time, prepare a guest room for me, for I am hoping that through your prayers I will be graciously given to you.

 23 Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends greetings to you, 24 and so do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, and Luke, my fellow workers. 

 25 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. [ESV]

We do not have here a detailed plan but a powerful, gracious, instructive example. One that would undermine slavery in the classical world and the early modern world alike. Where is is worth noting a later reference to a Bishop Onesimus, perhaps the same in later years. END